The Los Altos Community Coalition is a broad-based community group whose mission is to advance the development of a Plan* for downtown Los Altos and the Civic Center.
*Plan includes community vision, environmental review, codification, and financing strategy.
WHY WAS THE COALITION CREATED?
The Coalition was initiated by a group of civic leaders who recognize the need to move quickly to develop and implement an integrated plan for downtown Los Altos and the Civic Center that will define the future core of our city.
Past planning efforts did not produce a vision for the Civic Center and downtown that has been embraced by the community.
Los Altos has missed opportunities for creative land use and design, public/private partnerships and community benefits from private development.
We believe that our City needs a shared vision for its community core that the City Council, community, and private sector can work together to achieve.
HOW WE WORK
We are a community coalition of civic groups:
- Working collaboratively with all members of the Los Altos community.
- Looking to the future while learning from the past.
- Providing educational forums on sound urban planning and municipal finance practices.
- Identifying potential opportunities for public/private partnerships.
- Understanding how to maximize the highest and best uses of city-owned property in the Civic Center and downtown.
- Evaluating the implications and trade-offs of land-use decisions in the Civic Center and Downtown.
- Learning from subject matter experts and experiences in other cities.
- Keeping participant organizations and neighborhoods informed of topics discussed by the Coalition and upcoming City decisions affecting the Civic Center and downtown.
- Supporting our elected officials in accomplishing these objectives.